Searching...

DUPATTAS ARE LOSING THEIR SHEEN AND IMPORTANCE

DUPATTAS ARE LOSING THEIR SHEEN AND IMPORTANCE



It was the year 1998, my sister and I were on shopping spree it was 1st day of the month, both of us had got our share of pocket money, of course, as she was older she had got the lion’s share but there was no conflict, for I knew she would buy me chocolates. We started our shopping in an emporium, we went to ladies segment, there were number of suit-salwar of different designs & style. Mannequins were wearing ‘Patiyala suit salwar’, which was in the vogue. After trying many my sister chose two pair of suit-salwar and with two extra dupattas, being a boy it was difficult for me to make out why extra two.

Then after two years she got married into an orthodox family, who did not allow for suit-salwar. She called me in her in-laws house gave a bag full of newly bought suit-salwar and dupattas, double the number of pair. And then she asked me to distribute those among the urchins, who lived behind our school. After coming back, I did what I had been told to do, though it was difficult for me, for I had seen my sister in those outfits sometimes scolding, beating but loving me.

Now today, time has all changed when you see girls it is hard to figure out what they are wearing and I feel fortunate for not having a sister of this age group and I get goose bumps when I think, if I had. The so called ‘Western Culture’ has made indigenous way of styling, obsolete and outdated.

And with designer suit-salwars, where neck and back are going deeper and deeper, the former down to cleavage and the later down half of back with two thin strings tying up, Sleeves have been getting shorter and shorter inch by inch and have reached the shoulders. Not to speak of designers who do not think ‘Dupattas’ to be worthy to attach it to their creations, for even girls do not give a damn to India culture. Thus, this article is dedicated to those girls who still maintain and revere India values. Kudos for keeping this traditional trend alive.

Dupattas used now




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Back to top!